Parish History

 

1634      First Catholics of the colonies arrived in Maryland

1700’s    Maryland Catholics migrated to Delaware

1742      Mass celebrated in the Mt. Cuba area

1785      Log cabin erected at Coffee Run and named St. Mary of the Assumption

1804      Mass celebrated for the first time in New Castle

1807      Wooden chapel built, followed by the construction of a brick church

1870      Construction began on a new church building

1876      St. Peter Church dedicated

1896      Belfry added to church

1906      Elementary school opened staffed by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia

1911      Staircase and entrance to church dedicated

1920      Grade school expanded to accommodate 9th and 10th grades

1931      High school expanded to become a four year school

1951      New high school building opened

1950’s    Gym constructed

1960      New grade school building and convent constructed

1970      St. Peter High School closed

1980      Cemetery expanded

1994      Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia withdrew from grade school

1996      Restoration 2000 Project began to make extensive repairs to parish buildings

               Sisters of St. Francis relocated retired sisters from St. Peter convent to other locales.
1998      Convent renovated for Parish Pastoral Center

               Father Arthur B. Fiore becomes pastor

1999      Pastoral Center dedicated

2008      July church stairs renovation begins

2009      February – Church stairs are blessed by Bishop W. Francis Malooly
               July – Father John P. Klevence installed as pastor of Saint Peter the Apostle

2012      Father Steven B. Giuliano installed as pastor of Saint Peter the Apostle

 

© 2018 St. Peter The Apostle